Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pallet Entry Bench with Shoe Storage


After tripping over shoes in our tiny entry for the umpteenth time, I decided to make use of the pallet stash leftover from my headboard. After looking around for inspiration on Pinterest and the web, nothing seemed to meet my needs. So, I figured out the dimensions that I wanted the bench to be and got to work designing my own.

The bottom compartment needed to be the right size to accomodate the fabric bins I'd spotted at Target, and for the height to be right for big and little people to sit on while putting on their shoes. The other consideration was to make sure that it didn't interfere with the door opening. The middle shelf is useful for handbags and the dog leash. Somehow, I calculated the height of the bottom shelf about 1/4 inch too low for the bins to slide comfortably, but some little rectangular felt furniture pads (also from Target) sorted it right out, and now I can slide the bench out to sweep without scratching the tile.

The entire thing is made from pallet wood, with the exception of the scrap 2x2's used to support the middle shelf. I used deck screws for the assmbly.  After sanding, the leftover paint from the coffee table came in handy. Since everything was leftovers, the entire cost of the bench was only the cost of the bins and feet - under $20! Our entry stays nice and tidy now.

1 comment:

  1. Homestudio.com is an online solution to your all furniture needs ,we have huge collections of latest variants of shoe cabinets built with latest German furniture quality .Explore our catalogue.

    homestudio.com/living-room-furniture/shoe-cabinets.html

    ReplyDelete